Medical Negligence Compensation Claims
Have you suffered because of negligence at the hands of a medical practitioner or medical institution?
While we all rely on the medical industry to provide the best possible healthcare, sometimes mistakes happen. Often this is due to negligence.
Medical practitioners and institutions (such as hospitals, medical centres, nursing homes) have to provide the highest standard of care that they can.
If you suffer an injury because a medical practitioner or institution has failed to provide that standard of care, you may be entitled to compensation payable by the insurer of that practitioner or institution.
Claims like this aren't always easy to make, as it is up to you to prove that there was negligence. But that's where we can help. If you want to seek compensation for medical negligence, call us at Gajic Lawyers today on 02 9890 5885 (Parramatta) or 02 9727 2277 (Cabramatta).
What is covered in medical negligence compensation claims?
All medical practitioners and healthcare providers are covered by professional indemnity insurance, in case a patient or client lodges a negligence claim.
You can receive compensation if you can show that a medical practitioner or healthcare provider failed in their duty of care and adversely affected your life. This could have happened in several ways:
- Misdiagnosis - wrongly identifying your disease or condition
- Failure to warn - not telling you about the effects of your condition or treatment
- Failure to provide appropriate treatment
- Surgical errors
- Anaesthesia errors
- Defective products (such as use of non-sterile surgical equipment)
- Errors during pregnancy and child birth
- Incorrect prescription or dosage of medication
You may be entitled to damages for:
- Past and future medical expenses for treatment arising out of the negligence
- General damages for pain and suffering
- Loss of earnings (past and future)
- Past and future domestic assistance and personal care provided by family members
- Rehabilitation and other costs (wheelchairs, modifications to your home, etc.)
If you have suffered as a result of negligence by a medical practitioner or healthcare provider, we are ready to help you make your compensation claim. Call Gajic Lawyers on 02 9890 5885 (Parramatta) or 02 9727 2277 (Cabramatta).
- What is the time limit to start a claim and how long will it take to conclude my case?
- What should I do if I think I am entitled to make a claim?
- Will I need to see an independent medical specialist?
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some of the more commonly asked questions about Medical Negligence Compensation Claims:
What is the time limit to start a claim and how long will it take to conclude my case?
It is important to remember that every State and Territory places time limits on how long you can take to make a compensation claim. Usually, you have to do so within 3 years of the day the incident happened.
What should I do if I think I am entitled to make a claim?
It is important to remember that in cases like yours, it is up to you to show that the medical practitioner or healthcare provider was negligent. They and their insurance company only have to respond to your claim. This makes it very important to collect as much evidence as possible and to keep detailed records. To prepare for your claim in the best way possible, you should:
- Seek a second medical opinion about your condition
- Consult us here at Gajic Lawyers as soon as you can
- Photograph or document any physical damage or illness you have/are suffering
- Get the contact details of any witnesses
- Keep copies of medical records, X-rays and scans relating to the incident
- Keep copies of receipts for any of your expenses
- Record your recollection of discussion and consultations with the practitioner or other healthcare provider
Will I need to see an independent medical specialist?
Yes, you will need to see independent medical experts, who will act on our behalf and also on behalf of the insurer, to report on your medical condition and to provide an expert opinion as to whether or not the first medical practitioner has failed in their duty of care.
Why choose Gajic Lawyers for Medical Negligence Compensation Claims?
There are many good reasons to choose Gajic Lawyers for your compensation claim. Here are the most important:
- We have resolved a large number of Medical Negligence Compensation Claims
- We cover all expenses (such as medical examinations) related to your case
- No Win, No Fee!
- An obligation-free chat with a lawyer, no matter how small your claim
- Our multi-lingual team and availability of interpreters
- We pride ourselves on providing a tailored personal service in your claim
- Our determination to get the absolute best result for you
- Our proactive approach to settling claims early if the opportunity arises
- Our quick response to your enquiries
- Our policy of ensuring that you understand what is happening in your claim at all times
- We will provide you with copies of everything important that goes on in your file during the course of your claim
Call us for an obligation-free chat with one of our Compensation Lawyers.
It is not always easy to prove that a medical practitioner or healthcare provider was negligent. It often means a long legal case, involving many independent medical experts as witnesses, and a large amount of evidence.
But we can help you. We have handled a lot of claims just like yours. While they may be complex, we have a very strong track record of good settlements. We have also obtained successful results through the court process.
No matter how large or small your claim, we are ready to listen. Your first chat with us is free.
To get the best possible chance of being awarded the compensation you are entitled to, call Gajic Lawyers today on 02 9890 5885 (Parramatta) or 02 9727 2277 (Cabramatta).